ENTRY REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION AT https://www.universitylabpartners.org/our-events/pitch-launch-grow-2023
ENTRANTS MUST BE U.S. RESIDENTS AGE 18 OR OLDER OR VALIDLY EXISTING U.S.-BASED COMPANIES.
WINNING SUBMISSIONS WILL ALSO REQUIRE ENTRANTS TO DELIVER A SIGNED LAB AGREEMENT WITH UNIVERSITY LAB PARTNERS, WHICH MAY REQUIRE ENTRANT TO INCUR ADDITIONAL COSTS AND FEES IN CONNECTION THEREWITH THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY ANY PRIZE.
ENTRANTS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR SECURING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PROTECTION OF ANY SUBMISSION, IDEAS, INVENTIONS, OR OTHER CONTENT PROVIDED OR MADE AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTEST.
1. Sponsor: The primary sponsor of the 2023 Pitch. Launch. Grow. Contest (this “Contest”) is University Lab Partners (“ULP”), with a business address located at 5270 California Avenue Suite 300, Irvine CA, 92617 whose decisions are final and binding as to all aspects of this Contest. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, any social media or other platform used to promote this Contest and deliver information about this Contest.
2. Binding Agreement: These Official Rules and Terms (these “Rules”) constitute a legally binding agreement by and between ULP and the entrant and govern entry in this Contest. By participating, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to abide by these Rules. Failure to comply with these Rules void an entrant’s entry. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Entrants and/or potential winners may be required to provide proof of identification and eligibility as required by ULP. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any promotional or other materials and these Rules, these Rules shall prevail, govern, and control.
3. Eligibility: The Contest is open to (a) persons that are legal residents of, and physically located within, the United States and are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry; and (b) validly existing entities (i.e., corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships) based in the United States and legally authorized to conduct business in the State of California. A participant’s entry into this Contest will be deemed to be a representation that the entrant qualifies under either Section 3(a) or Section 3(b) of these Rules. The Contest is void in any jurisdiction or territory outside the United States and/or where otherwise prohibited or restricted by law. ULP and its affiliates, partners, sponsors, employees, directors, agents, advertising, and promotional agencies, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest (collectively “Promotion Entities”), and their immediate family members (herein defined as spouse, siblings, children and each of their respective spouses, regardless of residence, and any person living in such a person’s household, whether related or not), are not eligible to enter or win. This Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
4. Entry Period: The Contest begins at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (“PDT”) on May 8, 2023 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on June 19, 2023 (the “Entry Period”). ULP’s computer will be the official time-keeping device. Entries received after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Any proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. Entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. How to Enter:
During the Entry Period, an eligible entrant must complete ALL of the following steps to be entered into this Contest:
All photographs, videos, information, data, or other content (collectively, the “Entrant Content”) submitted in connection with this Contest must be an entrant’s sole work and must not incorporate ideas or work of any other person or material that would require the consent of a third party in any jurisdiction or under any applicable law. Without limitation, the Entrant Content must not infringe or violate any trademark, copyright, patent, publicity right, privacy, trade secret, confidentiality, or any other right of any other person or entity, under any applicable law.
Note that by entering this Contest, you are agreeing to receive U.S. marketing email communications from ULP until you choose to unsubscribe. There is no cost or obligation associated with subscribing to the marketing email communications, and you can opt out of receiving marketing email communications from ULP at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email message.
Important notice regarding online entry: Depending on your wireless service provider/plan, you may be subject to additional fees when accessing and using mobile services from your device in connection with entering and participating in this Contest or communicating with ULP or its representatives. Entrants using this means of entry are solely responsible for all charges, fees, and taxes associated with entry and participation in this Contest. Entrants should consult their wireless service provider regarding its pricing plans prior to participating via a mobile device.
6. Submission Requirements: Each application for Contest entry and all Entrant Content submitted in connection with such entry (collectively, the “Submission”) must meet ALL of the “Submission Requirements” set forth below to be eligible and should include enough information for the Judges to apply the Judging Criteria (set forth in Section 7 below). Failure to do so or to follow any of these Rules may result in disqualification of the attempted entry:
Any Submission that contains prohibited content will be considered void and invalid.
Without limiting the generality of these Rules, by entering this Contest, entrants acknowledge and agree that they will retain ownership of any Submission submitted, subject to the license below. The entrant shall irrevocably grant, transfer, convey, and assign to the Promotion Entities the unrestricted right to reproduce, distribute, display, edit, adapt, publish, perform, broadcast, modify, and otherwise use the Submission, including without limitation any logos, trade names, and name/likeness of entrant (or any founders or key employees included as part of the Submission) and other entrant information in connection with this Contest and the promotion of this Contest, including without limitation the rights to use the Submission in any and all media, including social media, whether now known or hereafter developed, on a worldwide basis, in perpetuity, without compensation, permission, or notification. Display or publication of any Submission by the Promotion Entities does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner.
7. Winner Selection/Judging: The panel of judges (the “Judges”) will be made up of representatives from various sponsors and partners of this Contest. The criteria that the Judges are as set forth below in the following categories (the “Judging Criteria”):
Each criteria will be scored by the Judges on a scale of 1 to 4 with a confidence level of high, medium, or low. The Judges will select one Submission in each of the two tracks (Life Science or Medical Technology) to be the potential Prize winners (the “Winning Submissions”) on or about August 23, 2023 and such determination shall be final and binding. In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-submitted to the Judges for a rejudging between the tied entries alone. In the event that a tie remains after rejudging, the Submissions with the highest score in the business plan categories will be declared the Winning Submission for the applicable track.
The entrants responsible for submitting the Winning Submissions will be notified at the contact information included in the Submission with further instructions on how to claim their Prize. The potential winners will be required to accept within thirty days (30) days of receiving this notification and to execute and deliver to ULP a copy of its Access and Services License Agreement (the “Lab Agreement”) for any Prize. Please note that all entrants with Winning Submissions will also be required to obtain insurance as set forth in the Lab Agreement as well as comply with all other provisions in the Lab Agreement, in each case which will require entrant to incur additional costs and fees not included in the Prize.
In the event of a dispute over the identity of the winner, the Winning Submission will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the primary email address associated with the account used to submit the entry. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. ULP will disqualify anyone suspected of entering by opening two separate accounts with different email addresses. The potential winner may be required to provide ULP with proof that it/he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the Winning Submission and that all eligibility requirements are met. If a dispute cannot be resolved to ULP’s satisfaction, the affected entry will be deemed ineligible. Entrant is responsible for notifying ULP in writing if entrant’s email or other contact information has changed.
Prizes: There will be one prize for each of the two tracks (Life Science and Medical Technology) as follows: (“Prizes,” and each, a “Prize”):
Approximate commercial value in U.S. dollars of the Prize is $29,400. Actual value of the Prize depends upon, among other things, the current market conditions at the time of Prize fulfillment. Winners will not receive cash or any other form of compensation for the Prize. NOTE: All costs/expenses related to participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of the Prize not specified herein, including, but not limited to, transportation to and from the airport, gratuities, insurance, meals, telephone and data charges, baggage charges, and all incidentals and personal expenses are the sole responsibility of winner. All federal, state, local, and any other taxes are the responsibility of winner. Winner must be able to be present in the lab space and enter into the Lab Agreement or all aspects of the Prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected.
Each Prize will be awarded only if the potential winner fully complies with these Rules. No transfer, assignment, exchange, refund, cash equivalent, or substitution of the Prize (or portion of the Prize) shall be permitted.
All details and other restrictions of each Prize not specified in these Rules will be determined by ULP in its sole discretion. ULP reserves the right to substitute the Prize, in whole or in part, for prize of comparable or greater value if the Prize or any portion of the Prize becomes unavailable, impractical, or cannot be awarded as described for any reason.
ULP MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES OF ANY KIND REGARDING THE PRIZES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND EACH WINNER SHALL TAKE ITS PRIZE “AS IS” AND AT THE WINNER’S OWN RISK.
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and the skill of the entrant. At ULP’s discretion, any unclaimed Prize may not be awarded.
9. Winner Requirements and Usage of Rights in Submissions: Potential winners must comply with all terms and conditions of these Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Winners will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, an IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification), and a copy of the Lab Agreement (collectively, the “Prize Claim Documents”) within thirty (30) days of issuance. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the Prize, and/or fails to return the Prize Claim Documents within the applicable time period, ULP may elect to disqualify the selected winner, who will then forfeit the right to receive the Prize. In the event a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, ULP may award the Prize to an alternate winner from among all remaining eligible entries based on the Judging Criteria previously conducted. Arrangements for delivery of the Prize will be made after winner validation.
The Winning Submissions may be featured on ULP’s website and various social media platforms in accordance with the license granted under Section 6 above. Notwithstanding the foregoing, winner accepts and acknowledges that ULP shall not be obligated to use the Submission and that ULP in its sole discretion shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission. ULP shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent ULP chooses to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder.
10. Representations and Warranties/Indemnification: Each entrant covenants, represents, and warrants to ULP as follows: (i) the Submission does not infringe on or misappropriate any copyright, trademark, patent, moral right, right of privacy/publicity, or intellectual property or any other third-party right or violate any applicable law or regulation, and no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the Submission; (ii) the Submission is wholly original with entrant and, as of the date of Submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the Submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and meets the Submission Requirements set forth above. Each entrant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold ULP and the Promotion Entities harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements of entrant hereunder.
11. Release and Limitations on Liability: By entering this Contest, each entrant (for the entrant and, if applicable, on behalf of any director, manager, member, shareholder, officer, employee, or other stakeholder in such entrant) agrees to forever and irrevocably release and hold harmless ULP and the Promotion Entities (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, lawsuits, judgments, controversies, causes of action, injuries, losses, proceedings, demands, fines, penalties, liabilities, costs, and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable outside attorneys’ fees and court costs) (collectively, “Claims”) related to this Contest or any Prize, including without limitation, Claims that may arise in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, stolen, damaged, misdirected, or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries due to any cause including, but not limited to, human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, Released Parties, or otherwise, that may limit an entrant’s ability to participate in this Contest; (ii) acceptance, receipt, travel related to, participation in, delivery of, possession, defects in, use, non-use, misuse, inability to use, loss, damage, destruction, negligence, or willful misconduct in connection with the use of any Prize (or any component thereof); (iii) any change in any Prize (or any components thereof) due to unavailability or due to reasons beyond ULP’s control; (iv) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, or typographical errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest; (v) the violation of any privacy, personal, publicity, or proprietary rights; (vi) any interruptions in or postponement, cancellation, or modification of this Contest or these Rules; (vii) any technical malfunctions or unavailability of any telephone network, computer system, online system, computer timing and/or dating mechanism, computer equipment, software or Internet service provider, or mail service utilized by any of the Released Parties or by an entrant; or (viii) any wrongful, negligent, or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any entrant. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any damage to an entrant’s computer system which is occasioned by accessing the websites of Released Parties or participating in this Contest, or for any computer system, phone line, mobile phone, hardware, software, or program malfunctions or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions, or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, error in entries or selection announcement, or the failure to capture any information. Released Parties will not be responsible or liable for any entries in excess of the stated limit or for entries that are late, forged, lost, misplaced, misdirected, tampered with, incomplete, deleted, damaged, garbled, or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules, and all such entries may, in ULP’s sole and absolute discretion, be disqualified. Entrant further agrees that Released Parties are in no matter responsible for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to the creation, administration or fulfillment of this Contest and/or the awarding of any Prize. Released Parties will not be liable to winner or any other person for failure to supply any Prize or any part thereof, by reason of fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, explosion, labor dispute or strike, labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, pandemic, epidemic, any federal, state, or local government law, order, request, or regulation, or order of any court or jurisdiction, or any other cause beyond Released Parties’ control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence).
Further, entrants agree to waive the provisions of Civil Code Section 1542 which states: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS THAT THE CREDITOR OR RELEASING PARTY DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE AND THAT, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER, WOULD HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR OR RELEASED PARTY.”
12. Additional Rules: ULP reserves the right to: (i) permanently disqualify from this Contest any person it believes has intentionally violated these Rules; and (ii) suspend, modify or terminate this Contest if ULP believes, in its sole discretion, that fraud, virus, tampering, malfunction, error, disruption, damage, or any other cause beyond the control of ULP is impairing or will impair the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of this Contest. If, for any reason, this Contest is not capable of running as planned (including, without limitation, due to a Force Majeure event or any unanticipated occurrence that is not fully addressed in these Rules), ULP reserves the right to cancel, modify, or suspend this Contest or any element thereof. ULP may prohibit an entrant from participating, winning, or accepting a Prize (and void all associated entries) if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest and associated Prize by cheating, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other participants or ULP’s representatives. UPL’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ULP RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
15. Winner List: For the Winners List, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: 5270 California Avenue Suite 300, Irvine CA, 92617. VT residents may omit return postage. Winners List requests will only be accepted after the Contest end date (listed above) and no later than November 26, 2023. During the Entry Period, you may visit https://www.universitylabpartners.org/pitch-launch-grow-contest-official-rules-and-terms for a copy of these Rules.
16. Severability: If any portion of these Rules should be held invalid or unenforceable for any reason, such portion shall be deemed modified or severed from this agreement in such a manner as to enable the remaining portions of these Rules to remain in full force and effect as if no invalid or unenforceable provision had been part of this agreement.
[End of Official Rules]